TOPIC: SPIRIT, SOUL AND BODY – PART 2 (HOW TO DEVELOP THE HUMAN SOUL)
TEXT: 1Thessalonians 5:23, Rm. 12:2, Jas. 1:21
INTRODUCTION: Man is spirit; he has a soul and lives in a body. The soul is that part of man that acts as intermediary between the spirit and the body. It contains the mind, will and emotions 1Cor.14:14.
WHY DO WE NEED TO DEVELOP THE SOUL?
Before the fall of man, the spirit controlled the soul. This was God’s original design for man. After this, the body began to control due to the death of the spirit. This resulted in perversion because in the flesh dwells no good thing Rm.7:18.
Consequently, at new birth, we have to start to retrain our souls to be led by our spirit instead of the body because only our spirit is saved at new birth. The soul and the body remains the same. In fact, salvation of the soul is a daily process – Jas. 1:21.
HOW TO DEVELOP THE SOUL
To develop the soul therefore means to retrain the soul to be led by the spirit instead of the flesh. This can be achieved through renewing our minds – Rm.12:2. To renew our minds require the following steps:
- Read the word daily – 1Tim.4:13
- Study the word – 2Tim2:15
- Meditate on the word day and night Jos1:8, Ps.1:1-3.
- Keep the right company. Make friends with godly people only.1Cor.15:33, Prov.13:20, Ps.1:1-3
- Listen to teachers of the word through attending church services, seminars, listening to teaching tapes and reading anointed books. Prov.4:20-22
CONCLUSION: Mind renewal is your responsibility. You must therefore make the effort by disciplining yourself to do all these things. When your mind is renewed, your will and emotions will conform to God’s ways.